Congratulations on your new kitten! Thank you for choosing us to help protect and care for your new addition to your family.
Our kitten wellness program is designed to help get your kitten started on the right path to a long and healthy life. The first few months are a critical period in your kitten’s development, and we can give you the support and tools necessary to help him or her grow into a well-mannered, healthy cat, including information and advice on nutrition, litter box training, and behavior.
Schedule your kitten for his or her first exam as soon as possible. Until your kitten has received a series of vaccines, he or she is susceptible to many serious but preventable diseases. We will make sure your new pet is protected against rabies and panleukopenia (distemper). Depending on your cat’s risk, we may also advise vaccinating him or her against other diseases, such as feline leukemia virus (FeLV). In addition, your kitten will need to be treated for parasites, which are common in young cats.
We will begin your kitten’s vaccination program at 8 weeks of age, with boosters every 3 to 4 weeks apart until he or she is 16 weeks of age.
We vaccinate for the following diseases:
- Panleukopenia Virus also known as feline distemper, however it is not like distemper in dogs but more along the lines of the severity of canine parvo. Panleukopenia is associated with the parvovirus family
- Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis is a viral respiratory disease in cats. It is also known as feline influenza, coryza, and pneumonia
- Calicivirus is one of the two main viral causes of respiratory infection in cats
- Rabies is a deadly disease that can be transmitted to humans via bite/saliva from an infected animal. This vaccination protects your pet from this life threatening disease. Even indoor animals (cats and dogs) should be vaccinated due to the most common source of infection being bats. There are documented cases of Rabies positive bats on Vancouver Island.
- Feline Leukemia is caused by what is known as a retrovirus. The disease is also called FeLV. The infection is found in 2% – 3% of all cats and is the leading cause of cancer in cats
Most kittens have roundworms, which are intestinal worms that can cause coughing, weight loss, and a potbellied appearance in cats (although they may not cause any symptoms). It is important for kittens to be treated for roundworms, not only to help rid them of the infection but also to prevent you and the rest of your family from becoming infected. Roundworms are a zoonotic parasite, which means they can be transmitted from pets to people. By ensuring that your kitten is properly treated, you can keep your entire family safe.
Kittens can pick up intestinal parasites from their environment and from their mother before birth. For this reason we recommend deworming kittens at 8 weeks of age, again at 10, 12, 14 and 16 weeks of age. It is important to then put them on a regular deworming program to ensure full protection against parasites.
Kitten Health Packages
For your convenience – and peace of mind – we have put together our KITTEN HEALTH PACKAGE. This comprehensive package includes all the steps to get your new little one off to a healthy start. The package is available for kittens 8 weeks to 16 weeks of age and includes all of the following:
1st Vaccination – FVRCP
Full Physical Exam
Deworming for round and hookworms (Milbemax) x 2
Discuss flea control – Capstar/Advantage/Program
Discuss Nutrition and FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease)
Litter box training
2nd Vaccination– FVRCP/1st Leukemia
Full Physical Exam
Deworming for round and hook worms (Milbemax) x 2
Household destruction – what to do
2nd Leukemia/Rabies Vaccine
Full Physical Exam
Toe Nail Trim
There are two packages available – the Full Package – 8 week start and the Partial Package for kittens a little older at 12 weeks start.
Both packages are priced at a 10% discount vs completing the series one visit at a time. Payment for package is required on the first visit. Please contact our reception team for current prices.
When you choose our kitten health packages we offer a 10% discount on spay/neuter up until the age of 1 year. Also, if your kitten should become sick and need attention between the ages of 8 weeks and 10 months, we offer a complimentary examination. That’s an $82 savings right there!