This month we celebrate Animal Health Week from October 1 to 7, 2017 The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) is highlighting the importance of animal welfare through the campaign slogan, “Animal Welfare: Safeguarding the Five Animal Freedoms.”
The Five Freedoms include: adequate shelter, proper nutrition, appropriate veterinary care, proper socialization, and the ability to exhibit normal animal behaviors. This year’s theme provides us with an opportunity to remind animal owners of the fundamental elements they are required to provide the animals in their care to ensure them healthy and happy lives. It is our responsibility to ensure the animals we care for not only survive, but thrive.
We are reminding animal owners that they can protect the FIVE ANIMAL FREEDOMS by:
- Providing proper nutrition — freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigor.
- Ensure proper socialization — freedom to spend time with or away from members of their species as appropriate.
- Providing adequate shelter – freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Providing appropriate veterinary care — freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Allowing animals to exhibit normal behavior – freedom to express normal behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and tools/accessories and not punishing animals for carrying out undesired behaviors.